How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Brampton, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Music Therapy: We have a Certified Music Therapist who visits once weekly. She works individually with residents, playing guitar and singing songs relevant to the resident’s past, and she has also organized a chime choir consisting of 10 residents.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- St. John’s Ambulance Pet Therapy: Through our St. John’s Ambulance Pet Therapy program 2 trained therapy dogs are brought into the home for one-on-one visits with residents.
- Behaviour Supports: Our Behaviour Supports Ontario Team works with residents living with dementia. They learn as much as they can about each resident’s past from friends and family and then tailor activities to their past history. It helps them feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Resident Olympics: For over 10-years we have hosted our Resident Olympics. A week-long series of competitions in which residents in each of the 6 resident areas compete, both as individuals and as teams, for gold, silver and bronze medals.
- Culturally Diverse: Because of our diverse demographic profile, we provide cultural programs such as weekly Sikh prayers and Diwali celebrations with ethnic food, music and ceremonies.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Certified Music Therapist
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist